Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Happiest Pie:at The Oberoi Patisserie and Delicatessen


There is a defining moment in everyone’s life. Here is mine the Pie, I just cannot stop thinking about it. We saunter into The Oberoi Patisserie and Delicatessen ( a difficult word for the pastry shop), that’s me, dearest wife Praveen and Detective An. We look at the menus, order a brochette a portion of small stuffed croissants, some red cheddar (probably Leicester) a coca cola, a coffee and a magnificent Philadelphia cheese cake, we walk around and the pastry chef at the oven offers a pie (her name is Vidhu).

She says, would you like a pie (in retrospect it sounds like would you like Nirvana). I said what kind; she says ham and cheese and mushroom and cheese. I am glad I said ham and cheese. She is also meddling with a sausage roll in the oven, I am distracted. No I stick to Ham and cheese.

It arrives on the table in a rather small plate; the rest of the food is yet to arrive. I am entranced, the crust is nice and brown and crisp. The cheese is gruyere is gooey and sometimes stringy, the ham ooh, ooh the ham it’s the best I have ever eaten, soft and whispers to you like silk. Amazing, crust, gooey cheese and strong ham, the flavors and textures are just too overpowering. Oh yeah! I could live like this. Accompanied by Wilkins Ketchup and Wilkins English mustard, which is grainy and nice. Me and Detective An immerse into the folds of the pies, while Dearest Praveen has a bite of just the crust.

Pork has an effect of overpowering madness; the king of most meats, when made well can lead to momentary lapse of reason and delirium. That’s what I felt, so overwhelmed, I was dropping the oversized Cutlery all over the place. The Manager, Payal took the complements on behalf of Vidhu and informed us that they have different specials on most days.

This magnificent dish (the humble pie) is Rs 511/- (inclusive of tax, The Oberoi very smartly prices nearly everything inclusive of a tax, albeit expensive, but you know what to finally expect. The Meal for all was 1850/- But the pie was worth it and more.

If you have a moving food story that made the earth move for you, happy to hear it and host it.
So long!




10 comments:

Kalyan Karmakar said...

wow this looks soooo tempting... we often go to the cake shope at the Oberoi Mumbai Shopping Arcade. Nothing like this there :(

Unknown said...

I will surely try this at Oberoi's.

And, now am wanting to have a moving food story of mine soon....

Nice Post!

Rgs
Amit

Samil said...

Dear Kalyan,

This is new one, its hybrid between a coffeeshop and a delicatessen, where they also serve wine, help you choose meats, cheese, prepare hampers. The oberoi ran the sugar and spice all over Delhi for many years, then opened a a charcuterie in Vasant Vihar and now this novelle place. I have a more detailed account on June 01, post. Thanks.
Cheers
Sam

injeela said...

wow samil, the description is so awesome, had I been a ham eater i would've bin at oberoi tonight !
injeela

Samil said...

Thanks Injeela.

Warmest
Sam

Samil said...

Dear Amit Agnihotri,

Thanks.

We do remember our meal at the Kandhaar at The Oberoi in perhaps 1999. Its the the same premises Amit where the Patisserie and Delicatessen i s located. I will wait for your moving story.
warmest,
Sam

Amit Agnihotri said...

Truly that was my first 5 star Lunch.....
My kids (two naughty boys) do not really allow me to enjoy a very peaceful meal, the story shall surely come some day, but i recommend you to have Gol Gappas behind Alaknanda Market, and write a story about this vendor, who gives you watermelons with 5-6 diffrent kind of water, must taste. the chepest delight in Rs. 10/-, its the left turn before market starts when coming from your place and then immediate right and you will find him. Regards Amit

Samil said...

Will do Amit and revert soon.

Warmest,

Sam

Anonymous said...

excellent article. But I need more written

Anonymous said...

When I originally left a comment I seem to have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and from now on each time a comment
is added I receive four emails with the exact same comment.
Perhaps there is an easy method you are able to remove me from
that service? Appreciate it!

My website :: Abercrombie France