Wednesday, June 9, 2021

The Beggar’s Kitchen

 The Beggar’s  kitchen 

Many years ago after having a drink toobmany at a Colaba Bar, (Cafe Royal opposite Regal Cinema, where Bill Clinton on a visit to Bombay to the American centre, went to lunch, with his team and Chelsea, they even had his table marked ). I was working with Times of India , on a collaboration with BBC to launch their magazines ( Top Gear , Good Housekeeping etc) in India.Apart from managing the sales of their magazines Femina and Filmfare.

I stumbled upon , one night a push cart , street vendor selling mutton curry and rice.. thinking it’s a great option after a drinking binge .. I ordered one plate/ thali and settled with a mound of rice with generous lashings of mutton curry and onions ... I relished my meal and stood from the sidewalk stone .

I was politely asked to wash my plate at a tap nearby , awestruck .. I thought it was a strange request.. I offered to pay and the man behind the cart and smiled and said it’s a free soup kitchen for beggars. Yes a free beggars kitchen .

I was a bit taken aback , washed up and probed more. He said the traders of Crawford market offer left over grain, spices, meat and vegetables.. yes really the leftovers that can’t be sold . They give them all to this lovely kitchen, which dishes out an enjoyable meal to all and sundry ... beggars.. destitutes and forced bachelor executives after a drinking binge ...

We have Savoured them all from the best cordon bleau cooking .. to Crawford market beggar’s kitchen push cart .. all equally good .. as my Mum would often say ... hunger is the best sauce.

No comments: